People use social media to connect with friends and family, be entertained, and find the latest news, but they also use social media to research brands with the intention of making a purchase. We see retailers make the mistake of solely posting photos and videos of their products with the clear intention of moving items off of their shelves. I don’t know about you, but this is not the type of retailer I choose to follow on social media (and certainly not the retailer I choose to make a purchase with).
There’s a fine balance between a community and a customer group. Community takes connection, maintenance, and care. You’ve heard the Crystal Media team say, “People love buying from people”, meaning that small businesses have an advantage over big box stores. Small businesses may not have the high marketing budget, high-level planning, or same staffing available as big box stores, but what they do have is personality. There’s an actual person, or family, behind that small business brand. That’s important to consumers when making a purchase. However, how can this be translated on social media? Use the 80/20 rule when planning your content!
As a general rule, focus 80% of your social media posts and marketing communications on building a relationship with and giving something of value to your audience. Focus the other 20% of your posts on selling items. This means every 4/5 posts are about nurturing and 1/5 posts are about selling.
Examples of Nurturing Content (80%)
Nurturing content focuses on growing a connection with the viewer. It provides content that’s valuable. Examples include:
- Educational posts
- Sharing the owner’s background
- Team member introductions
- Store history
- Entertaining posts
- Behind the scenes
- Getting to know your audience better
- Gift guides
- Product usage or industry-related tips
- Inspirational posts
Examples of Selling Content (20%)
Selling content includes posts that speak directly to buying a product, or with a clear intention of getting the viewer to make a purchase. Examples include:
- Product photo
- Product details
- Merchandise videos
- Sales pitch
Selling on social media shouldn’t be neglected though! It can be incorporated in ways that are also engaging. For example, ask customers to share their opinions or tag someone who would like a particular product. Smart selling can be a nurturing post that also includes a sales pitch (thereby allowing a retailer to go over the 20% threshold for selling content).
It may be necessary to bend the 80/20 rule during certain times of the year, such as promoting a big event, a sale, or during Q4. Retailers should lean into selling then because their audiences are looking to buy. Extend the 20% rule to 40-60% during these times.
What I Want You To Take Away From This Blog:
- Use the 80/20 rule to keep the followers you already have.
- Focus on connecting with your audience rather than selling to them.
- Quality > Quantity when it comes to followers.
- Entertain and educate in your posts to add value.
Okay, over to you…
Are you guilty of focusing on selling products more than connecting with your community on social media? Which of the nurturing examples above will you implement first to apply the 80/20 rule on your social channels? Let us know in the comments below.
At EVOLVE 2022, Crystal Media team member Maddie will be sharing more about community involvement during her session, “How to Use Your Small Business Superpower”. Attend this exclusive event by becoming an Insider before February 7th!
Leave a Reply