IGTV was originally invented to compete with Youtube and the long-form video formats. Since IGTV isn’t seeing the type of success that Instagram was hoping for, we can now say goodbye to this video format on the app.
Instagram announces a new update called Instagram Video. With this new update, IG merges its video channels (both IGTV and Feed Videos) into one, easy-to-locate place, now called Instagram Video. Instagram Video shows up under a new icon on an IG user’s profile that looks like a play button. All IG Feed Videos and IGTV videos can be found here.
Note: Reels is staying put and will continue to be separated into its own Reels category. As the short-form video platform persistently grows in popularity, it doesn’t currently need to be updated or added into the Instagram Video category.
Adam Mosseri, the head of Instagram, said, “We’re seeing that video is driving more and more of the growth at Instagram, and that people are continuously telling us that they are interested in particularly short-form, entertaining videos.” In this blog, we’re covering what we know about this update and how it will affect retailers.
Here’s what we know about the Instagram Video update:
- Instagram is stopping the 15-second video preview a user gets in Feed. And expanding this preview to 60 seconds long (exempting monetizable videos).
- IGTV Videos and regular IG Feed Videos can be found under one tab on a user’s profile.
- Users will now be able to:
- Trim the video (likely similarly to IG Reels).
- Add filters to uploaded videos (likely similarly to Reels).
- Upload captions to their videos.
- As IG continues to figure out how to better “reconcile Reels,” there will be more Instagram Video updates to come.
While Instagram focuses on shifting and updating the video platforms on their channel (it’s hard to keep up with the latest ways to post and create content!), a user will still be able to press the Create button (+) at the top right of the profile to create an Instagram Video. Essentially, there’s just one video content (Instagram Video) instead of two (IGTV and regular Feed Video).
Retailers should also take this as a big hint to concentrate social media marketing efforts on video. Learn about different ways to post video on Instagram in our blog post, “The 5 Types Of Instagram Videos Retailers Should Be Creating Following Instagram’s Announcement.” (With the new Instagram Video update, please note the last two content types have been merged into one!)
This update is rolling out as of October 2021. Be sure to check for available updates in your account to ensure you receive this new feature.
What I Want You To Take Away From This Blog:
- IGTV and IG Feed Videos are merging into one video format called Instagram Video.
- The preview tab on an IG user’s profile will contain Instagram Videos.
- You can now trim and add filters, location tags, and captions to Instagram Videos.
- Instagram Reels will remain on its own tab.
- Instagram is focusing on video so retailers should too.
Okay, over to you…
What do you think of this new update? Let us know in the comments below!
If you’re having a tough time keeping up with Instagram changes and social media best practices, becoming a Crystal Media Insider can help you feel confident in your social media marketing. Our team of experts works hard to keep our Insiders updated with the latest training and strategies to help small businesses grow using social media!
Leave a Reply