Today, we’re answering one of our most commonly asked questions: Can I switch my account type to access the “good music” on Instagram and TikTok?
Our answer is always this: No! You should have a TikTok business account and an Instagram business account if your account is for your retail store or small business.
Today we’re explaining why you should have a business account and the consequences of switching to a personal or creator account on your business’s social media channels.
Licensed music is not available to use as a business. That’s why it can’t be saved from a business account. A lot of business accounts are switching their account types from a business account to a different account (such as entrepreneur) that allows music to be used.
If it’s your personal Instagram account, and you’re the business owner, an entrepreneur account type is appropriate. However, a store’s account should not be listed as this! Instagram is privy to accounts doing this and will keep making changes to their platform to fight against it (since this is going against their community guidelines). This may work for now for some accounts, but you run the risk of getting caught and in trouble from the musician with a lawsuit—or get your content or account removed from Instagram or TikTok.
The algorithm takes into consideration the account types that users interact with. Many users engage with and support small businesses, so the algorithm recommends similar accounts. This potentially exposes your account to users who like to engage with business accounts. When you switch your account type to an incorrect category, this confuses the algorithm and it will show your content to people who are not likely to engage with business accounts.
It may get you more views in the short term, but is harming you in the long run by not optimizing your account.
You can still make great videos without switching your account type. Here are 3 options for using audio on your Instagram and TikTok business account:
1. Use original audio posted from other accounts on Instagram/TikTok. When the audio is listed as “original audio”, a business can use it because it’s not licensed music. Original audio is often trending just as much—maybe even more—than licensed music on Instagram and TikTok.
Wondering where to find trending original audio for Instagram? Every week on Crystal Media’s Instagram Stories, we share trending original audio for retailers to use! We share several videos where a business account can click on the video and save the audio to use for the week. Be sure to check in on our Stories and save your favorites to have a library full of audio that is usable for business accounts on IG.
2. Use your own audio, like talking in a video or a voiceover. Adding in your own audio is a good option to connect with your audience and show off the people behind the brand.
3. Use the music available in the audio library. The music that’s available to search, save and use on Instagram and TikTok is available to business accounts to freely post with. Although this usually isn’t the most desirable audio, it won’t get you in any trouble!
What I Want You To Take Away From This Blog:
- Use a business account on Instagram and TikTok.
- Follow the apps’ community guidelines.
- Use your own and other accounts’ “Original Audio”.
Okay, over to you…
Let us know which account type you have, and how fast you’re running to switch it to a business account!
Leave a Reply