As promised in their previous blog, Google has slowly been adding the messaging feature on verified business profiles for the past few months. The chosen early adopters usually get a message from Google via email.
There are two important things that I’d like you to know about this update. First, your customers can now send messages to your Google business profile directly from Google Search and Maps. You can respond to them through these apps as well.
Second, in addition to the availability of the “Message” button on your business profile, customers can now start a conversation from any post you create. And if they try calling and you don’t answer, they’ll be prompted to send a message. Note: I haven’t seen this on any of our managed listings as of this writing, but if you have, comment down below!
While this update offers yet another free way to engage with customers, Google wants your TLC in order to maintain this feature.
For this reason, here are some tips for a better messaging experience.
- Make sure that your messaging notifications are turned on. This is found in the settings of your profile.
- Make sure that you respond to customers’ messages as quickly as possible. Google wants you to reply within 24 hours. Failure to do so will result in the deactivation of chat in your listing.
- Add another manager to your account who can monitor incoming messages. This is ideal for businesses that receive a lot of inquiries.
- Edit your welcome message to indicate the times you’re usually available on chat and advise customers to call you for urgent inquiries.
What I Want You To Take Away From This Blog:
- Maximize the messaging feature for added customer engagement.
- Create a plan for prompt responses to your customers’ inquiries.
- Post on your Google Business Profile. If you’re not yet doing it, start now!
Okay, over to you…
Now that you’ve learned about this awesome update, how do you plan to maximize these free listings features? If you’ve already been using it, did it help you convert more sales? Share your experience with us.